A Pakistani court on Monday put off till April 27 the hearing of a petition filed by Jamaat-ud- Dawah chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed and three of his close aides challenging their detention following the terror attacks in Mumbai.
Deputy Attorney General Navid Anayat Malik told Justice Ijaz Ahmed Chaudhry of the Lahore High Court, who is hearing the matter, that his office had not received a copy of the petition and he needed more time to study it.
Malik said he would assist the court on the issue after seeking instructions from the federal government. The court directed Malik to submit the records in the matter on April 27 and adjourned the hearing till that date.
A K Dogar, counsel for Saeed and the other petitioners, told Justice Chaudhry that the detention of the four men was "unlawful" because they or any other member of the JuD are not involved in any illegal activities.
Additional Advocate General Hanif Khatana of Punjab province had earlier opposed Saeed's production in the court, saying that it would create serious law and order problems and would require the deployment of a large number of policemen for his security.