Pakistan government has drawn up a plan to tighten security during the upcoming general election in the wake of the deadly suicide attack on former premier Benazir Bhutto's motorcade.
The plan, meant to protect the "life and security" of people participating in election rallies, has been sent to political parties to obtain their views, Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz told a delegation of the All Pakistan Newspapers Society (APNS) that met him in Islamabad on Monday night.
The government, he said, will ensure the maintenance of peace during the campaign for elections due for January.
"The interior ministry's security draft has been sent to the political parties to get their comments after which it will be published," he said without giving details of the plan.
Aziz had earlier said the government might impose restrictions on the campaign due to the threat of attacks by extremists. Reports have suggested the restrictions would include a ban on rallies and processions.
The government's move had sparked protests from opposition parties, including the PML-N and Bhutto's Pakistan People's Party, which have said they will defy any such ban.
Aziz made it clear that all the parties, including the ruling PML-Q, will be bound by the security plan.
The security plan is separate from a code of conduct for the polls issued by the Election Commission last week.