Pak official raises doubt over Kasab’s letter
A top Pakistani official has raised doubts about the authenticity of the letter written by Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone gunman captured for the Mumbai terror attacks, seeking legal aid from the Pakistan government.world Updated: Dec 31, 2008 19:25 IST
A top Pakistani official has raised doubts about the authenticity of the letter written by Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone gunman captured for the Mumbai terror attacks, seeking legal aid from the Pakistan government.
Interior Secretary Syed Kamal Shah claimed the language and contents of the letter did not “match those of a real Pakistani”.
“They (Indians) have simply tried to make up a story and have even failed in that too,” Shah told reporters during a visit to the headquarters of the National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA), Pakistan’s national database, on Tuesday.
Questioning the authenticity of the letter written by Kasab, Shah repeated interior ministry chief Rehman Malik’s contention that no records of Kasab had been found in the NADRA database. However, the database covers only 60 million of Pakistan’s total population of over 160 million.
Shah also said the Indian authorities had not yet shared evidence on the Mumbai attacks with Pakistan.
“Why did the Indians not share the identity of the others accused in the attacks? They are talking just about Kasab, who was not even arrested from the crime scene.”
He also alleged that one of the SIM cards allegedly recovered from Kasab was issued from Austria.
Kasab’s father recently admitted to Dawn, a Pakistani daily, that the gunman, whose picture was beamed round the world by the media, was his son. Residents of Kasab’s village —Faridkot in Punjab province — too have told the Pakistani media that he was from the village and had told his mother during his last visit home that he was going away for jihad.