Pakistan on Thursday said it was not responsible for the lack of progress in the recent Foreign Secretary-level talks and the ball is now in India's court to respond to its proposals like participation of the political leadership in the dialogue process to normalise ties.
"We are not responsible," Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit said during a weekly news briefing, when asked who was responsible for the perceived deadlock in the Foreign Secretary-level talks which were held in Delhi on February 25.
He hastened to add that it would be incorrect to describe the talks "in terms of success or failure" but made it clear that it is now up to India to respond to Pakistan's roadmap for future engagements between the two sides.
Pakistan Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir presented the roadmap to Indian leaders during meetings in New Delhi last month.
"We are not happy that India is not yet ready to come back to the composite dialogue process whereas Pakistan yesterday again said it is not interested in talks for the sake of talks," Basit said.
"There are proposals on the table and we will see how the Indian leadership responds to the roadmap which Pakistan suggested at New Delhi. It will be our desire that, for the sake of this region and peace between our two countries, India does revert to the dialogue process," he said.