Pak to act on consular access after probe | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 18, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Pak to act on consular access after probe

world Updated: Jan 01, 2009 21:01 IST
Highlight Story

Pakistan on Thursday said it would act on the issue of consular access to Ajmal Amir Iman 'Kasab', the lone terrorist captured during the Mumbai attacks, after completing its own investigation into his admission that he was a Pakistani citizen.

"We are currently carrying out our own internal investigations to ascertain whether Ajmal Kasab is from Pakistan. We will deal with this issue after our investigations are complete," Foreign Office spokesman Mohammad Sadiq told reporters here.

Kasab recently sent a letter to the Pakistan government seeking legal aid. Officials had earlier said authorities were examining his letter. Pakistan has also said it has not been provided evidence by India regarding the involvement of elements within this country in the Mumbai attacks.

Kasab's father admitted in an interview to the Dawn newspaper last month that the attacker whose pictures were flashed around the world by the media was his son.

Sadiq evaded a direct reply to a question on whether the US and Britain had shared any evidence regarding the Mumbai attacks with Pakistan, saying: "We await any concrete information or evidence relating to the Mumbai incident. We have offered to India a joint investigation.

"The Indian External Affairs Minister has said that they have not shared evidence with Pakistan and that they are still investigating."

Pakistan, Sadiq said, is "currently engaged in the process of our own investigation" into the Mumbai attacks. It is also awaiting evidence from India "to enable our own investigations to make progress", he said.

<