On the eve of a top US diplomat's visit to push Pakistan to act against the Mumbai attack perpetrators, Islamabad on Sunday rejected India's demand to hand over terror suspects linked to the strikes, insisting that there was no extradition treaty between the two countries.
There can be no comparison between Pakistan's extradition of terror suspects to the US and India's demand for the handing over of persons linked to the Mumbai attacks, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said.
"We have a treaty with the US, we do not have an extradition treaty with India. Please do not compare, every situation is not identical," Qureshi told a news conference in his hometown of Multan.
Pakistan will frame a response on matters related to the Mumbai attacks only when it receives "something officially from India", he said, adding that no information had so far been shared by New Delhi with Islamabad.
The Foreign Minister's comments came a day after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh asked Pakistan to hand over terror suspects linked to the Mumbai attacks.
Qureshi said he will meet US Assistant Secretary of State Richard Boucher tomorrow during his visit to Pakistan.
Boucher is travelling to the region to urge India and Pakistan to push forward the probe into the Mumbai attacks and for action against the perpetrators of the terrorist strike that killed over 180 people.
Qureshi said the tensions sparked by the Mumbai attacks had been defused due to the intervention of "friends and important nations in the region and beyond."