Pakistan confirms arrest of 6th suspect in Mumbai attacks | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 22, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Pakistan confirms arrest of 6th suspect in Mumbai attacks

Pakistan's Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik has confirmed the arrest of one more suspect in the Mumbai terror attacks and asked India to provide more information to proceed against those detained for perpetrating the carnage.

world Updated: Apr 20, 2009 13:47 IST

Pakistan's Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik has confirmed the arrest of one more suspect in the Mumbai terror attacks and asked India to provide more information to proceed against those detained for perpetrating the carnage.

Malik said six suspects have so far been arrested in connection with last year's Mumbai attacks. He did not give details of the sixth person arrested by Pakistani authorities.

The interior ministry had earlier confirmed the arrest of five suspects – Lashker-e-Taiba operatives Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, Zarar Shah, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Abu al Qama and Shahid Jamil Riaz. They are all currently in judicial custody.

Malik made it clear that Pakistan could not punish the suspects it had arrested unless India provided more information about the Mumbai attacks, including the statement recorded in court by Ajmal Amir Kasab.

"We can't punish them unless we have proof," he told reporters at the marriage of the son of a senior Pakistan People's Party leader late last night.

Pakistan needs the chargesheet filed against Kasab by Indian authorities, he said, adding the country is committed to bringing the perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks to justice but it can act only after India provides more information.

Malik said Pakistan has always condemned terrorism anywhere in world and is framing a new national policy to counter the scourge.