Confusion on Wednesday prevailed over reports that Pakistani authorities have filed a case against Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist captured alive during the Mumbai attacks, and 12 others in connection with the terror strikes but the government denied it soon afterwards.
TV channels quoted unidentified sources as saying that the case was registered on the basis of the probe conducted by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) and the decision made by the Defence Committee of the Cabinet during its meeting on Monday.
However, later Dawn News channel reported quoting Interior Ministry chief Rahman Malik as denying that any case was filed by FIA against anyone in connection with Mumbai attacks.
It quoted Malik as saying that Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has already said that the nation will be taken into confidence regarding any decision on the matter. The media should not speculate, he was quoted as saying.
Geo News Channel said the case was filed under the Anti-Terrorism Act and registered at the Dockyard Police Station in Karachi.
It also said that among the others named in the case were three persons who were arrested in Karachi. Nine more persons had been identified but were yet to be taken into custody, the channel reported.