Pakistani investigators have found “substantial evidence” directly connecting the Lashkar-e-Tayyeba (LeT) to last year's Mumbai terror attacks, the Daily Dawn reported on Wednesday.
The findings provided the basis for the trial of five LeT operatives. The trial started last week by an Anti-Terrorism court in Rawalpindi's Adiala jail.
The newspaper said this was the first time that Pakistanis are being tried inside the country for carrying out terrorist attacks on foreign soil.
It said the investigation conducted by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) gives some “new and startling details” about people involved in training and providing finances for the Mumbai attacks.
In its report, Daily Dawn said Pakistan has charged five LeT
commanders including Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and Zarar Shah with planning and facilitating the bloody assault.
The newspaper quoted the chargesheet as stating that “there are enough sufficient oral, direct documantary, circumstancial and scientific evidence that directly connects the accused with planning, preparation and execution of the attacks and the operational handling of the 10 terrorists”.
The paper said that Lakhvi and Zarrar Shah are believed to have confessed to their involvement in the Mumbai attacks. But Pakistani officials have never confirmed this publicly, the paper stated.
The paper quoted the FIA report saying “training sessions were held in Karachi where investigators seized literature, boats and intelligence manuals.
A training session codenamed Azizabad was held in Karachi at a LeT camp, the FIA report said.