Pakistan formally seeks extradition of Kasab, Ansari
The Pakistan government on Saturday formally demanded the extradition of Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone gunman captured alive during the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, and his Indian accomplice, Faheem Ansari, Online news agency reported.world Updated: Apr 25, 2010 16:27 IST
The Pakistan government on Saturday formally demanded the extradition of Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone gunman captured alive during the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, and his Indian accomplice, Faheem Ansari, Online news agency reported.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik, speaking to reporters after meeting Indian High Commissioner Sharat Sabrawal, said a Pakistani court had issued arrest warrants against Kasab and Ansari, which have been handed over to India so that Pakistan could move forward in the investigations on the Mumbai attack.
The minister said that the three Indian police officers who recorded Kasab's statement after his capture will have to come to Pakistan for its verification.
Kasab's trial in a Mumbai court ended March 31 and the verdict is to be announced May 3.
Malik said 71 people have been arrested so far on the dossiers India provided on the Mumbai carnage while 64 people have been put on the Exit Control List (ECL).
Malik said Pakistan had responded to five of the 10 dossiers provided by India on Nov 26-29, 2008 attack that claimed the lives of 166 people, including 26 foreigners.
India has also been asked to share more information on the Mumbai attack.
Malik said that New Delhi had provided unsatisfactory information about Laskhar-e-Taiba founder Hafiz Saeed, who India says masterminded the Mumbai carnage.
"However we have frozen 16 bank accounts, blocked six websites and closed down 143 offices" of the Jamat-ud-Dawa the LeT had morphed into after being banned in the wake of the December 13, 2001 attack on the Indian parliament that New Delhi blamed on the terror group.