Pakistan hotel bomb suspects held | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 10, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Pakistan hotel bomb suspects held

world Updated: Nov 05, 2008 00:09 IST

Agencies
Highlight Story

Four suspects in the suicide attack on Islamabad’s Marriott hotel were sent back to jail by an anti-terrorism court to await charges likely to be brought later this month, police said after a hearing ended on Tuesday.

Fifty-five people were killed when an explosive-packed truck blew up outside the hotel in the heart of the capital in an attack on September 20 that authorities suspected was carried out by Islamist militants with ties to Al Qaeda.

The four men, including a doctor and a lawyer, were first brought to court in late October, having been arrested at different locations earlier that month.

Handcuffed and chained to policemen with their faces covered with hoods, the suspects were not allowed to speak to any one during Tuesday’s hearing.

“We have completed our investigation and the court has now sent the four men to jail on judicial remand,” senior police officer Altaf Ali Khattak said.

Another police official said the suspects would reappear in court on November 18, when they are likely to be charged.

Suicide bomb kills one, 9 hurt

A suicide bomber killed a Pakistani soldier and wounded nine on Tuesday, a day after the top US commander in the region held security talks with Pakistani leaders. The attack on a paramilitary post in the northwestern town of Doaba was the latest in an intensifying campaign by militants that has raised fears for Pakistan, a nuclear-armed US ally.