The Pakistan government is yet to decide on accepting India's offer of $ 5 million as aid for the victims of the unprecedented floods that have caused massive destruction, diplomatic sources said on Monday.
The diplomatic sources said that “no decision” had been made as yet on the offer that was conveyed by External Affairs Minister SM Krishna to his Pakistani counterpart Shah Mahmood Qureshi during a telephone conversation on Friday.
Krishna, in his conversation with Qureshi on Friday, had described the offer of aid as a “gesture of solidarity with the people of Pakistan in their hour of need”.
Asked about the matter, Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit said: “We appreciate this offer made by India. It has been conveyed to the relevant authorities”.
He did not give any further details.
The floods triggered by unusually heavy monsoon rains have killed over 1,700 people and affected 20 million. Meanwhile, the Daily Times quoted its sources as saying that Pakistan might accept the Indian aid if it is routed through the UN.
Pakistan had accepted aid from India when a devastating earthquake struck the Kashmir region in 2005. India had then sent three consignments of relief materials in military aircrafts.