Philippines typhoon toll reaches 43 | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 24, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Philippines typhoon toll reaches 43

The death toll from a typhoon that pummelled the Philippines climbed to 43 today as authorities warned another storm was set to strike and endanger nearly a million people enduring horror floods.

world Updated: Sep 30, 2011 08:15 IST

The death toll from a typhoon that pummelled the Philippines climbed to 43 on Friday as authorities warned another storm was set to strike and endanger nearly a million people enduring horror floods.

Typhoon Nesat dumped enormous amounts of rain across the main island of Luzon on Tuesday and huge tracts of farming lands remain under water.

The government said nearly a million people had been affected by the flooding, and that another typhoon was forecast to dump more rain across Luzon from Saturday.

"Our problem is the floodwaters have yet to be flushed out to sea and rains dumped on nearby mountains are still on their way down to the plains," Science Undersecretary Graciano Yumul said on ABS-CBN television.

"When Nalgae strikes it will suck the wet southwest monsoons into these same areas and any fresh rains are bound to worsen the flooding."

The government's National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said the death toll from Nesat had risen to 43, up from 39 late Thursday as disaster reports trickled in from isolated areas.

Thirty other people remain missing, mostly poor fishermen who went to sea in small outriggers ahead of Nesat, it said.