Prince Harry extends Nepal trip to rebuild quake-hit school

  • Utpal Parashar, Kathmandu, Nepal
  • Updated: Mar 23, 2016 23:32 IST
Britain’s Prince Harry visits Nepalese families displaced by the 2015 earthquakes at a makeshift camp in Bhaktapur on March 20, 2016. (AFP)

Britain’s Prince Harry says he will extend his trip to Nepal by another week to help rebuild a school damaged by the devastating earthquake last year.

The 31-year-old’s official engagements ended on Wednesday, but according to a statement from the British embassy here, he will stay back to help a charity comprising of military veterans involved in post-disaster work.

“I will be spending the next six days in a remote village with a charity called Team Rubicon,” he said at a reception organized at the embassy on Wednesday to mark the end of his official visit which began on Saturday.

“The team I’m joining will be working with a community to rebuild a school damaged in the earthquake. I am grateful to have this opportunity”.

The media won’t be permitted to attend the event but the statement says that the school is located in central Nepal where the students are still studying in makeshift tents made of tarpaulin and tin. “By providing a proper school for the children of this remote village, and repairing basic services such as hydroelectric turbine we will be able to make a real difference,” said Simon Clarke, director of field operations of Team Rubicon UK.

The fourth in line to the British throne will stay in camps during the course of the next six days and will leave Nepal at the end of the month.

During his visit, Prince Harry took stock of the reconstruction work and interacted with those affected. He also met families of British Gurkhas and indulged in trekking, jungle safari and rafting.

Read: Nepal hopes Prince Harry’s visit will revive quake-ravaged tourism

From Around the Web
Sponsored by Revcontent

also read

Mexican judge approves drug lord ‘El Chapo’ Guzman’s US extradition
Show comments