Prince Harry keen to go back to Afghanistan | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 30, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Prince Harry keen to go back to Afghanistan

Prince Harry, the third-in-line to the British throne, has sought another tour of army duty in war-ravaged Afghanistan.

world Updated: Aug 29, 2008 11:59 IST

Prince Harry, the third-in-line to the British throne, has sought another tour of army duty in war-ravaged Afghanistan.

The Prince, who is a Lieutenant in the Household Cavalry's Blues and Royals, spent ten weeks on the front line fighting the Taliban insurgents earlier this year before being flown home in February after his deployment was made public.

"Harry has made no secret of the fact he wants to be there when the regiment returns to the front line next year." He said the experience of leading his men into battle is one he hopes he can repeat.

"And with one mission under his belt, he has the skills and experience that will make him an extremely valuable member of the battle group," the British media quoted a Blues and Royals source as saying.

However, the Clarence House has said that there are no plans to deploy the 23-year-old Prince in Afghanistan again but confirmed he's a committed soldier who is always ready to do his duty if requested.

"Prince Harry is committed to his career in the Army and he remains ready to do whatever his required," the unnamed spokesperson was quoted as saying.

The Prince and members of his regiment will resume training at Windsor's Combermere Barracks next week before he begins a two-week exercise on Salisbury Plain. Then early in 2009, he is expected to take part in a full-scale live firing exercise in Canada.

The Blues and Royals will continue building their skills until April when they will go on full battle footing and begin six months of intensive tactical training to prepare for Afghanistan.

Is Your Couch Making You Cough?
Promotional Feature