An Al-Qaeda group, the Islamic State of Iraq, claimed responsibility for three bomb attacks on Baghdad hotels this week that killed at least 36 people, the SITE monitoring group said today.
"The Islamic State of Iraq (ISI), the Al-Qaeda front in Iraq, claimed the 1/25 coordinated suicide bombing attack that struck at three Baghdad hotels," the US monitoring group said.
The claim, which could not be immediately authenticated, was made in a "communique issued on jihadist forums on January 27, 2010," according to SITE Intelligence Group.
Three huge and apparently coordinated minibus bombs targeted hotels used by foreigners in Baghdad on Monday, killing at least 36 people and wounding 71 less than six weeks before a general election.
"The group declared the attack to be the 'fourth wave' of its 'Invasion of the Captive' campaign which is concentrated in Baghdad and began on August 19, 2009 with three suicide bombings and mortar strikes that killed over 100 people and wounded at least 565," the report said.
Nearly 400 people were killed and more than 1,000 wounded last year in coordinated vehicle bombings at government buildings, including the ministries of finance, foreign affairs and justice in August, October and December.