Rana to go ahead with 'not guilty plea'
Pakistani-Canadian terror suspect Tahawwur Hussain Rana, charged for his involvement in the Mumbai attacks, will not change his 'not guilty plea' and will go ahead for a trial, his lawyer said.world Updated: Mar 30, 2010 12:45 IST
Pakistani-Canadian terror suspect Tahawwur Hussain Rana, charged for his involvement in the Mumbai attacks, will not change his 'not guilty plea' and will go ahead for a trial, the process for which will start only after September, his lawyer said on Tuesday.
Rana, wearing the orange prison jumspsuit, appeared before US Judge Harry Leinenweber in US District court here where federal prosecutors set out dates till September to produce and handle classified information and evidence in the case.
Speaking to reporters after the 20 minute hearing, Rana's attorney Patrick Blegen said his client is not changing his plea like co-accused David Coleman Headley did.
"We are heading for a trial... we are hoping for a trial sooner rather than later," Blegen said.
LeT operative Headley pleaded guilty on March 18 to all 12 counts against him, including scouting for targets for the 26/11 Mumbai attacks.
Blegen said Headley's guilty plea did not come as a surprise since he had been "cooperating with the investigation".
"We knew and I think everybody in the press already knew as well that he was planning on pleading guilty.
"He allowed the Department of Justice to indicate that he was cooperating so it is not surprising at all.
"As to how it will affect the (Rana) case, I have to see the evidence first," he said adding that he feels he still has a strong case.
Rana's trial process is expected to start only after September, till when federal prosecutors would work on what evidence, gathered against him, can be used at trial.
Blegen said the trial would "obviously not start till after September" but hoped that it would not take 1-2 years for the trial to begin.
On whether Indian authorities, who have been pressing to interrogate Headley, would be given access to Rana, Blegen said, "I will wait to hear who exactly wanted to talk to whom and what the conditions are. If they ask, I'll think about it".
Chicago's top federal prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald, who was present at the hearing, told the court he hopes to declassify evidence gathered in the terror investigation in the next few months.
Fitzgerald said declassifying the material would help the government avoid extensive use of the Classified Information Procedures Act (CIPA) - which is essentially a procedural tool for a court to address the relevance of classified evidence before it may be introduced for trial.
"A substantial amount of discovery is classified material we're seeking to declassify," said Fitzgerald, whose presence during the hearings demonstrates the high importance the government is attaching to the case.