Remaining US personnel leave Yemen amid rebel call to arms

  • AP, Washington
  • Updated: Mar 22, 2015 12:05 IST

The US has removed its remaining personnel from Yemen as Shiite rebels controlling the Arab nation's capital call for others to join its battle against government forces.

In a statement issued on Saturday night, the state department gives no details about how many personnel had remained in Yemen and where they had been relocated.

Earlier on Saturday, Yemeni security and military officials had said that US troops including Special Forces commandos were evacuating from an air base in southern Yemen. The air base, Yemen's largest, was believed to have had some 100 American troops stationed there.

A state department spokesman, Jeff Rathke, says the US continues to monitor terrorist threats emanating from Yemen and will take action to disrupt imminent threats to the US and its citizens.

also read

Shiite rebels fire on protesters in south Yemen, kill six
Show comments