Savita's family to take case to European court of Human Rights
The husband of Savita Halappanavar will proceed with an application to the European Court of Human Rights after Irish Health Minister did not agree for a public inquiry into the circumstances leading to her death.world Updated: Nov 30, 2012 03:30 IST
The husband of Savita Halappanavar will proceed with an application to the European Court of Human Rights after Irish Health Minister did not agree for a public inquiry into the circumstances leading to her death.
According to the Irish Times, Praveen Halappanavar's solicitor Gerard O'Donnell said he was identifying a team of junior and senior counsel for the action because Health Minister James Reilly did not agree to a public inquiry into the circumstances of her death.
"I expect to sit down with them and my client early next week to draw up papers to submit to the European court".
Praveen has said the two inquiries established into his wife's death did not satisfy him or her family.
The first was set up by the HSE (Health and Security Executive), while a second, by the Health Information and Quality Authority (Hiqa), while separate to the former, was instigated at the HSE's request. Both will be held in private.
O'Donnell said the family had received offers of support from women's and human rights groups across the world in his quest for a public inquiry into her death.
Savita died on October 28 at Galway University Hospital, having presented a week earlier with back pain. She had been 17 weeks pregnant and was found to be miscarrying.
Praveen has said she asked repeatedly for a termination of the pregnancy but was refused and was told the foetal heartbeat was still present and "this is a Catholic country".
The miscarriage lasted from October 21 until 24, according to Praveen. His wife contracted septicaemia and died on October 28.