Security stepped up for international Boxing tourney in Pak | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 05, 2016-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Security stepped up for international Boxing tourney in Pak

world Updated: Jan 02, 2010 11:53 IST

PTI
Highlight Story

A suicide bomb attack during a volleyball match on Friday has forced the organisers of the Shaheed Benazir Bhutto international boxing tournament, which also features an Indian team, to strengthen security arrangements.

The attack in the NWFP province killed 65 people as a bomber drove his explosive laden SUV into a crowd watching a volleyball match near the town of Lakki Marwat.

Sindh Sports minister Muhammad Ali Shah said the federal and provincial governments were closely monitoring the security arrangements for the tournament, beginning today.

"Obviously we already have top security arrangements in place at the team hotel and tournament venue but we have stepped up security to ensure a smooth event," Shah said.

India have sent three boxers -- Sanjay Singh, Naresh Singh and Parnoj Singh -- for the event which will also see teams from 15 other countries including China, Hungary, Uzbekistan, Chinese Taipei, Vietnam, Singapore, Afghanistan, Yemen, Syria, Cameroon competing.

Foreign teams have refused to visit Pakistan since militants attacked the Sri Lankan cricket team in Lahore last year in March leaving six Pakistani policemen and a driver dead and six of the cricketers wounded.