Shooting of police veteran in Sydney an act of terrorism: PM

  • Reuters, Sydney
  • Updated: Oct 03, 2015 10:19 IST
Police inspect and guard the area outside the New South Wales (NSW) state police headquarters, located in the south western Sydney suburb of Parramatta, Australia. Australian police said they believe the shooting of a police worker by a 15-year-old boy in Sydney on Friday was politically motivated and linked to "terrorism". (Reuters Photo)

The shooting of a police veteran by a 15-year-old boy in Sydney was “an act of politically motivated violence, so, at this stage, it appears to have been an act of terrorism,” Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull told reporters in Melbourne, on Saturday.

The Australian police, also said they believed the shooting was “linked to terrorism”, the latest in a series of attacks blamed on radicalised youth.

Australia, a staunch ally of the United States and its battle against Islamic militants in Iraq and Syria, has been on heightened alert for attacks by home-grown radicals since last year.

The teenager was shot dead by police on Friday afternoon after he gunned down, at close range, a police employee leaving the headquarters of the New South Wales Police, police and witnesses said.

Police said they had identified the gunman as coming from an Iraqi-Kurdish background, and having been born in Iran.

“We believe his actions were politically motivated and therefore linked to terrorism,” New South Wales Police commissioner Andrew Scipione told reporters.

The boy was previously unknown to police or counter-terrorism officials, he added.

The victim was named as Curtis Cheng, a 17-year veteran of the NSW Police, who worked in the finance department.

“There’s no doubt that this tragedy will echo around the world, as people try and understand how someone so young could admit such a hideous crime,” New South Wales premier Mike Baird said.

In September, police shot dead a Melbourne teenager after he stabbed two counter-terrorism officers, while in December, two hostages were killed when police stormed a central Sydney cafe to end a 17-hour siege.

On Friday, a 15-year-old British boy was sentenced to life in prison for inciting an attack on a World War 1 commemorative event in Australia from his bedroom in northern England.

The discovery of the boy’s actions sparked a massive police operation in Melbourne that led to the arrest of five teenagers who were planning an Islamic State-inspired attack, authorities said.

However, Australian Prime Minister urged Australians not to vilify the Muslim community.

“We must not vilify or blame the entire Muslim community for the actions of what is, in truth, a very, very small percentage of violent extremist individuals,” said Turnbull.

Security authorities estimate at least 70 Australians have joined militant forces in the middle east with another 100 or more Australian-based facilitators and supporters.

also read

Ghost villages remain as survivors flee quake-hit central Italy
Show comments