Shootout accused US official barred from leaving Pakistan | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Shootout accused US official barred from leaving Pakistan

world Updated: Feb 01, 2011 13:03 IST

IANS
Highlight Story

The Lahore High Court on Tuesday directed authorities to place the name of US official Raymond Davis, who had gunned down two people, on a list that prohibits people from going abroad, a media report said.

Davis will be put on the Exit Control List (ECL) with immediate effect.

A petition had been filed in the High Court by barrister Javed Iqbal Jaffri on the grounds that the US official was arrested on charges of killing two Pakistanis, but the US was putting pressure on the authorities concerned to grant him immunity.

"The petition had sought the court to stay granting of immunity to the accused and his possible handing over to the US," Geo TV reported.

The High Court, in the preliminary order on Tuesday, barred handing over of Davis to the US and also directed that his name be put on the ECL.

"The question of diplomatic immunity for the accused will also be decided by the court," the media report said.

Davis was arrested on last Thursday after he shot dead two people riding on a motorbike at a busy intersection in Lahore. He has been under investigation since then and has pleaded that he acted in self defence.

He has claimed that the two alleged assailants wanted to rob him. The US embassy in Islamabad has demanded diplomatic immunity, which has so far been denied by the government.