Six wounded in Philippine bomb blast: military | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 23, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Six wounded in Philippine bomb blast: military

world Updated: Feb 14, 2009 22:00 IST
AFP
Highlight Story

Six people were wounded when a bomb went off outside a gymnasium in the southern Philippines, the military said today.

The home-made bomb went off in the town of Maitum late yesterday, wounding civilians, said regional military spokesperson Major Randolph Cabangbang. No group claimed responsibility for the attack.

"We are looking into possible involvement of rogue Muslim rebels. We alerted our soldiers in the area," Cabangbang said.

He did not specify which Muslim rebels might be behind the attack.

This area of the southern Philippines has previously been rocked by bomb attacks carried out by suspected members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), a separatist group that is fighting for an Islamic state in the southern third of the largely Christian Philippines.

Although the MILF has a ceasefire in place with Manila, MILF commanders resumed attacks in August after the Supreme Court suspended a draft agreement intended to pave the way for a peace accord.

<