South Korea's president stressed on Monday the need to bolster military readiness and sternly respond to North Korea over the deadly sinking of a warship, or risk more such provocations.
South Korea has taken a slew of punitive measures against North Korea, including resuming propaganda operations, after blaming Pyongyang for torpedoing the South Korean warship Cheonan in March. Forty-six South Korean sailors died.
North Korea flatly denies the allegation and has warned any retaliation would trigger war. The country's military said Saturday it would launch an all-out strike against any South Korean propaganda facilities at the border such as loudspeakers and could even turn Seoul into "a sea of flame."
The North has made similar threats in the past. South Korea has reinstalled loudspeakers at the border after a six-year hiatus, but has yet to begin blaring propaganda from them.
On Monday, South Korean President Lee Myung-bak renewed calls for a strong response.
"If we fail to sternly respond to North Korea's wrongdoing in cooperation with the international community and build up solid military readiness, a second and third provocation like the Cheonan incident can occur anytime," he said in a nationally televised speech.
Lee also said he would revamp and strengthen South Korea's military and hold some officers responsible for the sinking. Lee didn't name any top officers but his comments came a day after his top military officer offered to retire amid criticism over alleged negligence ahead of the sinking. The Cheonan attack occurred along the disputed sea border, where three bloody sea battles have been fought.
Gen Lee Sang-eui, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, submitted his application for retirement to Defense Minister Kim Tae-young, on Sunday, according to Lee's office. Kim is reviewing Lee's retirement offer, a Joint Chiefs of Staff officer said, speaking on condition of anonymity citing department policy. On Thursday, South Korea's top audit agency told the defense minister to punish Lee and 24 other senior defense officials for failing to ensure combat readiness ahead of the March 26 sinking. The audit body said the military had expected a North Korean submarine or submersible vessel could secretly attack a South Korean ship following a sea skirmish in the area in November and still failed to prevent the attack.
The two Koreas are still technically at war because their 1950-53 Korean War ended with an armistice, not a peace treaty. The UN Security Council was set to review South Korea's request to punish the North, with Seoul officials scheduled to brief council members about the investigation results later Monday. "That was an outrageous act of aggression that we condemn and it needs to be punished," Susan Rice, the US ambassador to the UN, said in an interview aired on "Fox News Sunday" that was taped Saturday. "Our hearts go out to the families of the sailors whose lives were lost in that event."
Lee's speech was mainly meant to address major domestic issues including the ruling party's upset defeat in local elections earlier this month and a controversy over his plans to kill a project to relocate part of the government out of Seoul.