SKorea to brief UN on ship sinking
South Korea will brief UN Security Council members next week on the sinking of one of its warships, the foreign ministry said Friday as Seoul pushes world powers to censure North Korea.world Updated: Jun 11, 2010 11:19 IST
South Korea will brief UN Security Council members next week on the sinking of one of its warships, the foreign ministry said Friday as Seoul pushes world powers to censure North Korea.
The briefing by a team of investigators will be carried out at the UN in New York on Monday at the request of council president Mexico, a ministry spokeswoman said.
The team will present evidence at the closed-door briefing, including a video clip showing North Korean torpedo parts being salvaged from the sea and forensic evidence linking the North to the sinking, the ministry said.
After a weeks-long investigation, a multinational team said last month there was overwhelming evidence that a North Korean submarine had fired a heavy torpedo to break the warship in two in March.
South Korea, the United States and other countries accuse the North of sinking the ship with the loss of 46 lives. They are pushing for the Security Council to admonish the communist state.
Seoul formally asked the Security Council last week to respond to one of the deadliest attacks since the 1950-53 Korean War.
But Russia and China, both veto-wielding members of the council, have refused to cast judgement on the investigation until they can assess the findings themselves.
North Korea warned the UN Wednesday of "serious" consequences for peace if it debates the alleged torpedo attack without letting Pyongyang's own investigators examine the evidence.