South Korea says it plans to send up to 350 troops to Afghanistan next year to protect its civilian aid workers.
South Korea currently has no deployment in Afghanistan, after withdrawing some 200 troops in 2007. The pullout, though previously planned, followed a hostage standoff in which the Taliban killed two South Koreans after demanding Seoul immediately withdraw its troops. The Defense Ministry says the Cabinet approved a new plan Tuesday to send troops to protect aid workers, and that it will be sent to the National Assembly this week. Opposition parties are against the proposal, but the ruling party has enough seats to guarantee passage.
The troops will be deployed from July 1, 2010, to Dec. 31, 2012, to Parwan province.