>A suicide car bomb wounded three troops from a US-led force and three Afghan civilians in Kabul on Tuesday, the US military said in a statement.
The Taliban guerrillas who are fighting against the Afghan government and foreign troops stationed in the country, claimed responsibility for the attack, part of rising violence in recent months.
The attack occurred near a US base on a main road out of Kabul, said a spokeswoman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).
"I saw pieces of a body and blood on the road and a damaged American vehicle and the bomber's car was totally destroyed," said witness Abdul Hamid.
A Kabul-based Western security analyst said troops, who had cordoned off the bomb site, opened fire and killed one policeman and wounded three others, but the report could not be verified.
Afghan officials were not immediately available for comment and the ISAF spokeswoman could not confirm there had been a shooting incident following the bomb attack.
Ousted from power in 2001, the Taliban largely rely on roadside bomb attacks and suicide raids as part of their campaign.
On Monday, a Taliban bomber on foot blew himself up among a group of Afghan soldiers in the northern town of Kunduz, officials said. Thirteen people, including seven soldiers, were wounded in that attack.