A Taliban suicide car bomber targeted a convoy of Nato troops in the Afghan capital on Tuesday, injuring two people, shortly before militants made an unsuccessful attempt to storm the Afghan intelligence agency.
The suicide bomber struck the convoy in Shah Shahid area of Kabul and the powerful explosion was heard across the city. Witnesses in the area said the blast occurred near the home of lawmaker Gul Padshah Majidi.
The explosion damaged several cars and shattered windows on a road in eastern Kabul.
NATO spokesman Col Brian Tribus confirmed the attack shortly before noon and said the coalition was gathering more information on the incident.
One of the injured was an Afghan civilian while the second person was from the convoy, said Gen Abdul Rahman Rahimi, Kabul’s police chief.
Hours after the attack on the convoy, two suicide bombers were killed while trying to target the National Directorate of Security(NDS), the spy agency, in the eastern part of the city.
The NDS confirmed the attack on its Twitter account and said both bombers were killed before they detonated their vests at 2.30 pm Afghan time.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack on the Nato convoy. In a text message to the media, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the attack targeted a "foreign car".
The suicide bombing was the second attack in a week targeting the remaining foreign forces in the heavily fortified capital. Most Nato troops withdrew at the end of last year.
Last week, a Taliban car bomber targeted a convoy of Nato troops in Kabul, killing a civilian and wounding 12. Two foreign soldiers suffered light wounds in that attack.
Security has deteriorated across the country as the Taliban have stepped up their attacks after most foreign combat troops left Afghanistan. There are around 9,800 US troops remaining in the country, down from a peak around 100,000 in 2011.
The majority are training Afghan forces but a contingent of a few thousands is still engaged in combat.
This is also the first year that the Afghan forces are facing the Taliban’s spring offensive without the backing of foreign troops.