Survivor rescued 13 days after deadly Ecuador quake
Crews have rescued a 72-year-old survivor of Ecuador’s deadly earthquake almost two weeks after it struck the South American country, Venezuela announced Saturday.world Updated: May 01, 2016 09:01 IST
Crews have rescued a 72-year-old survivor of Ecuador’s deadly earthquake almost two weeks after it struck the South American country, Venezuela announced Saturday.
A visiting Venezuelan search team located Manuel Vasquez, who had been trapped under rubble since the 7.8-magnitude quake that killed 660 people, the Venezuelan embassy in Quito said on its website.
They found Vasquez “making sounds in a partially collapsed building” on Friday in Manabi province while doing inspections for structural problems, it said.
The April 16 quake was the worst to strike Ecuador in decades, causing buildings to collapse and damaging roads and other infrastructure in tourist areas along the coast.
Vasquez was admitted to hospital with kidney trouble and lost toes. He was also dehydrated and disoriented.
Ecuador welcomed hundreds of rescue teams, doctors, nurses, firefighters and other support staff after the quake from a slew of countries.
President Rafael Correa has announced a series of drastic economic measures aimed at paying for what he estimates will be the $3 billion cost of rebuilding the shattered country.