Syrian troops shot and wounded protesters in the capital on Friday, activists said, as thousands demonstrated across the country a day after twin bombings killed dozens of people in Damascus.
Thursday’s bomb attacks that struck during the morning rush hour were the deadliest in 14 months of unrest, killing 55 people and wounding nearly 400, to a chorus of international condemnation.
The UN called on both sides to the conflict to cooperate with a month-old ceasefire as President Bashar al-Assad’s regime and the opposition traded accusations over the perpetrators of the Damascus carnage.
“Five civilians were wounded when regime troops opened fire in the Tadamon neighbourhood,” of Damascus on Friday to quell protests, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. Thousands of people took part in anti-regime demonstrations in towns across Syria after the weekly Muslim prayers, monitors said.
Defying troop deployments, protesters took to the streets of Idlib in northwest Syria, Hama in the centre as well as the eastern province of Deir Ezzor, the Observatory said. World powers condemned the attacks that targeted a military intelligence building and urged both sides to the conflict to adhere to the ceasefire brokered by UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan.
The 15 UNSC members urged the regime and rebels to “immediately and comprehensively” implement Annan’s six-point peace plan, “in particular to cease all armed violence”.
UN leader Ban Ki-moon, who earlier this week warned of possible civil war if Annan’s plan failed, also renewed a call for all sides to cease violence.