Taliban claim responsibility in US base attack | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 21, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Taliban claim responsibility in US base attack

world Updated: Feb 12, 2010 17:45 IST
AP
Highlight Story

Taliban forces claimed responsibility on Friday for an attack by a suicide bomber on a US military base near the Pakistani border that injured five Americans.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said the attack on Thursday night in eastern Afghanistan was conducted by an insurgent wearing the uniform of a border policeman.

"Last night, a Talib by the name of Mohammad Omar wore a border police uniform, entered the base and blew himself up," he told The Associated Press by phone.

The attack occurred after sundown in a barracks at a US facility in the Dand aw Patan district in Paktia province, about 35 miles (70 kilometers) east of the provincial capital Gardez, according to provincial government spokesman Roullah Samoun.

Abdul Satar, an adviser to the Paktia Provincial Reconstruction Team, said a US delegation from Bagram had been sent to investigate the incident today.

A US statement said "several" US service members were injured in an explosion at a joint US-Afghan outpost in Paktia but gave no further details.

The attack occurred about 400 miles (640 kilometers) northeast of the Taliban town of Marjah in southern Afghanistan which is under siege by US and Afghan troops.

On December 30 a Jordanian believed to be a double agent blew himself up at a CIA base in another eastern border province, Khost, killing seven agency employees and a Jordanian intelligence officer.

<