Terror suspect Zazi to face new charges
US Federal authorities expect to file "additional charges" in an alleged plot by an Afghan native, Najibullah Zazi, to attack New York.world Updated: Dec 04, 2009 15:57 IST
US Federal authorities expect to file "additional charges" in an alleged plot by an Afghan native, Najibullah Zazi, to attack New York.
City using weapons of mass destruction, a prosecutor has said. Chief prosecutor Jeffery Knox told a judge in Brooklyn borough that the charges will be contained in a new indictment against Zazi, a Colorado airport van driver arrested earlier this year on charges of conspiring to use weapons of mass destruction.
Jeffery Knox also said that the conspiracy was "international in scope". The authorities here have noted that the Zazi case is emerging to be the most serious terrorist attempt since 9/11.
The indictment against the 24-year-old says that he got bomb making instructions in Pakistan and was trying to build a bomb. Following the indictment, Zazi pleaded not guilty to the terror charges in front of Judge, Raymond J Dearie, in Brooklyn.
"We are still evaluating evidence. My expectation is that we will be seeking a superseding indictment," Knox told Judge Dearie. Zazi's attorney J Michael Dowling told reporters that he did know about the new charges against his client who has been asked to return to the court on February 16.
"He's charged right now with a charge that carries life in prison. I'm not sure what they intend to do," Dowling said after the hearing.