The ongoing re-engagement between India and Pakistan is not insulated from terrorism and another Mumbai-like incident could lead to the disruption of the fragile process, official sources said in Islamabad.
The sources noted that current efforts aimed at re-engagement, including Thursday's Foreign Secretary-level talks and scheduled meetings of the Interior Ministers and Foreign Ministers, were part of a delicate process that "could go for a six" in the event of another terror attack.
The two sides will have to make incremental progress in the re-engagement and the possibility of another Mumbai-like will have to be calibrated into the process, said the sources familiar with thinking at the senior levels of the Indian government.
The sources also said India was "not satisfied" with the progress in the ongoing trial in Pakistan seven suspects, including Lashker-e-Taiba operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, who have been accused of planning and facilitating the 2008 Mumbai attacks that killed 166 people.
"The Pakistan government does not seem to be pushing it (the trial) enough," said a source. The trial, being conducted by an anti-terrorism court judge in Rawalpindi's Adiala Jail since last year, has been mired in controversy and procedural delays.
The judge has been changed twice and Lakhvi's counsel has filed at least seven petitions seeking his acquittal, challenging the case prepared by the prosecution team and asking for the transfer of the trial to another court.
The sources raised questions about the quality of evidence put together by the Pakistani prosecutors and expressed concern at Islamabad's failure to respond to New Delhi's request to provide voice samples of several persons suspected of being the handlers of the terrorists responsible for the carnage in Mumbai.
The use of the voice samples to pin down the seven suspects could become a key part of the trial if the Pakistani side chooses to collaborate in this regard, the sources said.