Third Australian death confirmed in Jakarta bombing: PM | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 20, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Third Australian death confirmed in Jakarta bombing: PM

A third Australian was confirmed dead in the blasts that tore through two luxury hotels in Jakarta, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said on Sunday.

world Updated: Jul 19, 2009 10:58 IST

A third Australian was confirmed dead in the blasts that tore through two luxury hotels in Jakarta, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said on Sunday.

Rudd said Australia had confirmed mining executive Garth McEvoy died in Friday’s bombings. He had previously been listed as missing, with Australian officials saying they feared the worst.

Indonesian authorities had earlier named McEvoy as among those who died in Friday’s attacks.

Two other Australians, diplomat Craig Senger and human resources manager Nathan Verity, were also killed in the attacks, which have been blamed on Islamic extremists.

Rudd described the bombings, which claimed eight lives, as “appalling” and said Australia wanted those responsible brought to justice.

“The Australian government will leave no stone unturned in bringing to justice the perpetrators of this violent, barbaric act of murder,” he told reporters.

The twin suicide bombings at the JW Marriott and the Ritz-Carlton hotels were the bloodiest extremist violence targeting Westerners in Indonesia since 2005.

The blasts, in the upscale Mega Kuningan district, were just blocks from the Australian embassy, heavily guarded since a car bombing there in 2004 which killed nine people.

Almost 100 Australians have died in militant attacks against western targets in Indonesia in recent years, including bombings on the resort island of Bali in 2002 and 2005.

Canberra has since 2005 warned tourists against travel to the country, its nearest neighbour and the world’s most populous Muslim nation, on the grounds there is an ongoing and credible extremist threat.