Two fresh cases of assault on Indians have been reported in Australia, with three students attacked in two separate incidents, even as the Immigration Minister prepared to leave for India to reassure that his country is a safe destination for students and "not racist".
Two students were injured outside a hotel in Sydney last week in what appeared to be a petty street crime, apart from a separate incident surfacing from Adelaide.
New South Wales Police official Brian Wyver said the two men in Sydney suffered minor injuries in a scuffle outside a hotel in Wollongong on Friday.
"When the police arrived they couldn't locate anyone there... They later found that two people had been taken to Wollongong Hospital by a friend," Wyver was quoted as saying by the Herald Sun.
"They attended the hospital and there appears there has been some sort of fight outside the hotel. They didn't want any action in relation to that fight, they weren't badly injured so police have taken a report," he said.
In another case, an Indian student was attacked in Adelaide after a group of four drunken localites attacked him. The events came as Immigration Minister Chris Evans prepared to leave for New Delhi to reassure Indians of their safety Down Under.
Evans said Australia remains a safe destination for students and welcomed Indians to work and study in the country.