A 17-year-old with a grudge against his former Long Island high school planned with his girlfriend to buy shotguns, enter his old school and indiscriminately shoot down students and teachers days before his ex-classmates were scheduled to graduate, police has said.
The two teenagers extensively researched bomb making, attempted to buy a shotgun and set a June 10 date for the planned attack on Connetquot High School in Bohemia, Suffolk County police Sgt. Bill Doherty said.
Evidence from the 16-year-old girl's computer and cell phone showed they'd searched bomb-making and explosives websites, and exchanged text messages in which they discussed plans to buy firearms and kill people, police said.
Both were arrested and charged as adults with conspiracy.
The boy pleaded not guilty at his arraignment yesterday, while his girlfriend entered a not-guilty plea last week. Each could face up to a year in jail if convicted.
Authorities uncovered the plan after the boy's social worker alerted them last month that the two might be planning an attack, Doherty said.
The warning followed what police believe was a public proclamation of the boy's venom for his former classmates.
After a car accident that led to the death of two students earlier this year, someone using the 17-year-old's name left messages on a Facebook memorial page expressing his satisfaction.