Two suspects freed in failed UK terror plot | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 30, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Two suspects freed in failed UK terror plot

The terror suspects' identities have not been disclosed but are thought to be trainee doctors aged 25 and 28.

world Updated: Jul 15, 2007 22:11 IST

Two suspects in the failed car bomb attacks in London and Glasgow last month have been released without charge, British police said on Sunday.

The suspects, whose identities have not been disclosed but are thought to be trainee doctors aged 25 and 28, were arrested on July 2, two days after a flaming Jeep Cherokee slammed into Glasgow Airport's main terminal building.

Mohammed Asha, a 26-year-old Jordanian doctor, remains in custody after a magistrate on Saturday granted police until July 21 to detain and question him.

Three people, two in Britain and one in Australia, have so far been charged over the failed attacks.

"Two men arrested in the early hours of July 2 by Strathclyde Police at the residences of the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley (west of Glasgow) were released without charge this afternoon," police said.

The pair were among eight people detained by police investigating the Glasgow attack on June 30 and the discovery of two cars packed with petrol, gas canisters and nails in central London the day before.

The two incidents prompted Britain to raise its security alert level to "critical" -- the highest -- as the country feared an imminent attack.

It has since been downgraded to "severe", the second highest but which still means an attack is thought "highly likely", according to the domestic intelligence service MI5's website.

Two Indian doctors, cousins Sabeel Ahmed, 26, and Mohammed Haneef, 27, were charged with terrorism offences on Saturday.

Ahmed worked as a doctor at Halton Hospital in Runcorn, near Liverpool, where he was arrested. He is accused of withholding information about terrorism and is due to appear in court on Monday.

Haneef, 27, was charged by Australian police with providing "reckless" support to a terrorist organisation allegedly behind the attempted bombings by providing it with a mobile phone SIM card.

He has been in custody in Australia since his arrest in the eastern city of Brisbane on July 2 as he attempted to leave the country on a one-way ticket. He will appear before a Brisbane court on Monday.

The first to be charged, 27-year-old Iraqi doctor Bilal Abdulla, was remanded in custody on last Saturday, a day after being charged with conspiracy to cause explosions.

He is alleged to have been a passenger in the blazing Jeep Cherokee that Ahmed's older brother Kafeel is said to have been driving in Glasgow.

The 27-year-old Kafeel, who is thought to be an aeronautical engineer, remained in hospital with severe burns and under police guard in hospital.

Asha's wife, Marwan Daana, a 27-year-old laboratory assistant, was released without charge on Thursday.