UN condemns Kabul attacks
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Friday condemned the Taliban for the "senseless disregard" of human lives in the bomb attacks in Kabul that killed at least 17 people.world Updated: Feb 27, 2010 08:37 IST
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Friday condemned the Taliban for the "senseless disregard" of human lives in the bomb attacks in Kabul that killed at least 17 people.
Ban said in a statement that he "strongly condemns" the attacks that took place in Kabul Friday and for which the Taliban claimed responsibility. The attacks killed and injured Afghans as well as foreigners in a hotel and guesthouse in downtown Kabul.
"This deliberate targeting of civilians demonstrates once again a senseless disregard for human life on the part of the perpetrators," Ban said. Ban extended his deepest condolences and sympathy to the families of the victims and sent his wishes for a speedy recovery to those who were injured.
Among those killed was a French documentary filmmaker who had been training young Afghan directors on making documentaries. French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said Severin Blanchet, 66, had been working with aspiring Afghan documentary filmmakers since 2006 and his students had produced some 20 films.
"We will continue with determination his work, which he undertook with such generosity and solidarity," Kouchner said in Paris.