The UN Security Council resolution seeking immediate ceasefire in Gaza failed to bring an end to violence, with Israel pressing ahead with its offensive and Hamas continuing to fire rockets, even as top UN officials intensified diplomatic efforts in the region.
Both Israel and Hamas virtually ignored the resolution yesterday, even as the death toll in Gaza was nearing the 800 mark in the two-week old military action by Tel Aviv in which 10 Israeli soldiers were also killed.
With its reputation and credibility on line, UN officials were intensifying contacts with leaders in the region but so far without any success.
Meanwhile, the UN said it is resuming suspended aid distribution for thousands of Palestinians as soon as possible after receiving credible security assurances from "the very highest levels" in Israel.
The operations were suspended Wednesday following an Israeli attack that killed a UN contract driver and injured a second despite receiving Israeli clearance. Secretary-General Ban Ki moon, who spoke to Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert on phone and expressed his disappointment over the rejection of the UNSC resolution, apparently did not get any positive response.
Olmert, facing elections within a month and conducting a "popular war", had described the resolution "unworkable" and Hamas had said it was not consulted.
Hamas fired at least 30 rockets and Israel was considering whether to bring in reserve soldiers to expand the offensive, taking it to cities and towns in Gaza.