As many as 60 people are feared dead after a massive landslide in remote Papua New Guinea, reports said Wednesday, as the Pacific nation's Prime Minister Peter O'Neill rushed to the scene.
PNG media are reporting 40 bodies have been recovered and another 20 people are still missing.
The director of PNG's National Disaster Centre, Martin Mosi, said it appeared lives had been lost but he could not verify how many.
"The numbers are fluctuating and they need to be verified, but yes, there could very well be casualties," he told AFP.
"Once our people are on the ground, we will have a clearer picture."