Afghan forces who reported being under Taliban fire requested the US airstrike that killed 22 people at a medical clinic in northern Afghanistan over the weekend, the top commander of American and coalition forces in Afghanistan said Monday, correcting an initial US statement that the strike had been launched because US forces were threatened.
The strike wasn’t sought by US forces, Gen. John F. Campbell said at a hastily arranged Pentagon news conference.
“We have now learned that on Oct. 3, Afghan forces advised that they were taking fire from enemy positions and asked for air support from US forces,” Campbell said. “An airstrike was then called to eliminate the Taliban threat and several civilians were accidentally struck. This is different from the initial reports which indicated thatUS forces were threatened and that the airstrike was called on their behalf.”
The clinic was operated by the medical charity Doctors Without Borders. The attack killed at least 22 people and wounded dozens more, setting the hospital on fire.
The charity’s general director, Christopher Stokes, said on Monday he was “disgusted by the recent statements coming from some Afghanistan government authorities justifying the attack.”
“These statements imply that Afghan and US forces working together decided to raze to the ground a fully functioning hospital,” Stokes was quoted as saying in a statement.
On Sunday, NATO, under whose umbrella the US-led coalition operates in Afghanistan, issued a statement saying US forces had conducted an airstrike against “insurgents who were directly firing upon US service members” who were advising Afghan forces in Kunduz. The statement also said NATO was undertaking a preliminary assessment of the incident by a multi-national “casualty assessment team,” and that it would produce initial results “in a matter of days.”
Campbell’s revised account does not clarify whether the clinic was targeted in error or whetherUS military personnel followed procedure. They are required to verify that the target of the requested airstrike is valid before firing. Asked about those procedures, Campbell said he would not discuss the rules of engagement under which US forces operate.
“If errors were committed we will acknowledge them,” Campbell said. “We’ll hold those responsible accountable and we’ll take steps to ensure mistakes are not repeated.”
He declined to say who authorized the strike, which he said was carried out by an AC-130 gunship, which is an Air Force special operations aircraft equipped with heavy weaponry and often used against close-range ground targets.
Campbell declined to provide more details, saying military investigations by theUS as well as Afghanistan are ongoing. He said he learned from the US military’s lead investigator that it was the Afghans, not the Americans, who requested the airstrike.
Kunduz has been the scene of heavy fighting in recent days. The Taliban captured the city earlier this month, but Afghan forces retook it after several days. Clashes were still underway between government forces and the Taliban on the city’s outskirts on Monday, according to Khosh Mohammad, a member of the Kunduz provincial council.
Campbell, whose headquarters is in Kabul, was in Washington on Monday because he is testifying before two congressional committees this week. He noted that the Kunduz airstrike happened one day after aUS C-130 cargo plane crashed at an air base in northern Afghanistan, killing all six US crew members as well as five civilian passengers.
Campbell said the bodies of the six dead C-130 crew members were scheduled to arrive at Dover Air Force Base, Delaware, on Monday.
Campbell is expected to testify about his recommendations on the future of the US military mission in Afghanistan. A key question is whether President Barack Obama will alter his plan for reducing the US troop presence from its current level of about 9,800 to leave only an embassy-based security cooperation office after 2016.
Defence secretary Ash Carter said Monday the US intends to continue a military presence after 2016, adding, “it’s not a matter of whether but how many and how.”
Speaking during a press conference in Madrid, Carter said, “The president and all the rest of us continue to respond to and adjust to circumstances there and I expect that will continue.”
He said the Pentagon is providing options to the White House and Obama will be making decisions about future force levels later this fall.
Associated Press writer Lolita C. Baldor contributed to this report from Madrid, Spain.