US man drinks gasoline, lights up, dies | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 24, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

US man drinks gasoline, lights up, dies

Havelock police in the United States say a man is dead after he accidentally drank from a jar of gasoline and then smoked a cigarette.

world Updated: Feb 29, 2012 11:27 IST

Police say a man is dead after he accidentally drank from a jar of gasoline and then smoked a cigarette.

Havelock police received an emergency call about 9.55pm local time on Monday after 43-year-old Gary Allen Banning set himself on fire. Banning was transported to UNC Burn Center in Chapel Hill, where he died on early Tuesday morning.

City spokeswoman Diane Miller said investigators believe Banning was at a friend's apartment when he apparently mistook a jar of gasoline sitting by the kitchen sink for a beverage. After taking a gulp, he spit the gas out and got some on his clothes.

Sometime later, investigators say Banning went outside to smoke a cigarette and burst into flames.

Havelock police and the city fire marshal are continuing their investigation.