US state dept reeling from budget cuts
The State Department is still reeling from deep cuts made by Senate and House appropriations panels to the Obama administration's budget requests for next year, with some officials warning of national security risks.world Updated: Oct 04, 2011 01:16 IST
The State Department is still reeling from deep cuts made by Senate and House appropriations panels to the Obama administration's budget requests for next year, with some officials warning of national security risks.
Andrew Shapiro, assistant secretary of state in its Bureau of Political Military Affairs, told a meeting last week of the Center for New American Security that the hefty cuts will compromise national security. He noted that the 2012 funding bill for State Department and foreign operations was cut 8% by the full Senate Appropriations Committee and a whopping 18% by the House Appropriations State and Foreign Operations subcommittee.
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton had sounded similar concern in March, telling the House Foreign Affairs Committee that threatened deep cuts would be "devastating" to her agency.
While overall funding for the department and foreign assistance approved by the panels actually increased from this year's levels, that is only because they both approved the administration's separate request for $8.7 billion to handle State's additional expenses in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan.
The Senate committee on September 21 approved $44.6 billion for the core State, Foreign Operations budget for next year, which was $6 billion below the original request and $3.5 billion below the current level. The House subcommittee approved $39.5 billion, slashing the administration's request by $11.2 billion, or 22 percent.
In describing the cut, the Republican draft report on the bill said it preserves national security priorities while making "necessary reductions in spending."
Among the largest House subcommittee reductions was a nearly 20 percent cut in the funds that pay for Foreign Service officers and the civilians who support them.
In justifying this action, the subcommittee report said it eliminated funds sought for 184 new staff because since 2008, some 1,622 Foreign Service officers and 1,001 civilians had been hired above attrition.
(In exclusive partnership with The Washington Post. For more log on to www.washingtonpost.com)