A viaduct that was due to be demolished collapsed in southern China, killing six people and mangling more than two dozen vehicles, the local government and state media said.
Rescue crews used cranes on Monday to lift sections of the viaduct, which injured 17 other people and mangled cars when it collapsed.
The 14-year-old overpass was closed off earlier this month and had been scheduled for demolition, but it gave way Sunday afternoon in Zhuzhou city, according to a statement on the city government’s Web site.
More than 500 people took part in the rescue, pulling the injured from vehicles that were damaged by a 650-foot (200-meter) section of the construction, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.
The cause of the accident was under investigation, and police were holding suspects for questioning, state media said. Calls to the Zhuzhou city government rang unanswered on Monday.
The 9,000-foot (2,750 meter-long ) viaduct was the first in Zhuzhou and in any city in Hunan province when it was built in 1995, but it became notorious for traffic jams, Xinhua said. Much of the structure had been dismantled and the segment that collapsed was scheduled to be torn down on Wednesday, Xinhua said.