World powers launch military action against Libya | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 26, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

World powers launch military action against Libya

Top officials from the United States, Europe and the Arab world have announced immediate military action to protect civilians amid combat between Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's forces and rebel fighters.

world Updated: Mar 19, 2011 21:35 IST

Top officials from the United States, Europe and the Arab world have announced immediate military action to protect civilians amid combat between Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's forces and rebel fighters.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy said after an emergency summit in Paris on Saturday that France has already taken military action against Libya. Sarkozy said "our determination is total."

Earlier on Saturday, Libyan government troops forces stormed into the rebel capital of Benghazi, apparently ignoring a proclaimed cease-fire and potentially complicating any allied military action.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Saturday world powers were united that violence in Libya must end, but confirmed her country would take no part in military action.

She made the comment after world leaders discussed how to coordinate a military intervention in Libya in Paris.

Berlin abstained on Thursday in a UN Security Council resolution authorising a no-fly zone over Libya and ruled out any military involvement.

However, Merkel noted that her government has offered German AWACS aerial reconnaissance troops could take over duties in Afghanistan, freeing up US forces to do the same job over Libya.