How to maintain your car in winter
Winter season always comes up with lot of dew, it's imperative to take care of each part of your car to prevent it from getting drenched . Here are some useful tips to prevent it.autos Updated: Dec 06, 2011 02:18 IST
Winter season always comes up with lot of dew, it's imperative to take care of each part of your car to prevent it from getting drenched . Here are some useful tips to prevent it.
1. Take care of the windshield wiper blades: Fill your windshield-cleaner fluid tank with a winter-rated fluid. Antifreeze is added to the normal cleaner fluid so that it can handle colder temperatures. Also, keep the gas tank as full as possible to prevent moisture from freezing in the gas lines.
2. Battery check is vital: Clean the battery terminal ends and add water, then load-test to check its ability to hold a charge. If the battery is over four years old, you must replace it. Also, get the battery serviced.
3. Pressure check for tires: Use a tire gauge to check tire pressure. Air contracts with cold, and the tires may become low as the temperature drops. So, make sure the pressure is right in tires before driving out.
4. Tires should be in good condition: Make sure there is air in the spare tire and that all the proper tire-changing equipment is in the tool kit of the car. Also, make sure the tires are in good condition.
5. Maintenance of brakes: Get your brakes checked if you haven’t had one in the last six months. Check the lights, heater and defroster. Put together an emergency winter kit for the trunk of your car.
First Published: Dec 05, 2011 18:19 IST