New Maruti Suzuki DZire launched in India at Rs 5.45 lakh: Five things to know
Maruti Suzuki launched the new DZire in New Delhi on Tuesday. Here are five key takeaways from the latest compact sedan.autos Updated: May 27, 2017 10:55 IST
Maruti Suzuki launched a brand new avatar of its compact sedan Dzire on Tuesday at a starting price of Rs 5.45lakh for Petrol andRs 6.45 lakh for Diesel (ex-showroom Delhi).
The 2017 Dzire, completely redesigned on a new HEARTECT platform, comes packed with most contemporary features to meet expectations of family sedan buyers.
Here’s how the new Dzire is different from the older version, which the company will continue to sell as taxis, badged Dzire Tour:
1) Looks: The new Dzire is 40mm wider and has 20 mm longer wheelbase than the outgoing version, which opens up more room inside.
From the front, the new DZire gets a stance much like the 2017 Swift; the trapezoidal grille gets hexagonal slats inside a chrome-lined frame, replacing a honeycomb mesh face similar to the present gen Swift. The headlamp cluster has become smaller, but more expressive with those bigger projector headlamps and curved LED daytime running lamps. The fog lamp sockets get a chrome moustache as well: a make-believe premium ornamentation.
The face may not entice everyone, and there are some better-looking cars in this segment
The rear gets surprisingly wider and taller, with some design cues taken from the elder brother Ciaz. The tail-lights are bigger and neatly carved along with a chrome slat that runs from end to end of the boot. The boot lid has a wider opening to ease dumping your bags inside.
2) Engines: Maruti Suzuki has kept intact its tried and tested engines -- the 1.2-litre K-series Petrol and the 1.3-litre DDiS diesel. Dropping the automatic transmission offered in the earlier version, the company has offered automated manual transmission in both petrol as well as diesel variants.
The present ARAI-certified fuel economy figures are 20.85 for Petrol MT and 18.5 kmpl for AT, and 26.59 kmpl for Diesel MT as well as AMT. Since the new DZire is on a new platform and completely reengineered, the Petrol model is 85kg lighter while while the diesel version weighs 105kg lesser. So, the new Dzire will run 28.4 km in a litre of diesel and 22km in a litre of petrol.
3) Tech Inside: The new DZire borrows the 7-inch touchscreen from Baleno and the Vitara Brezza. It will take care of multimedia and navigation duties in sync with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and MirrorLink. There’s also a Start-Stop button, plenty of storage spaces and even a rear AC vent for the back-benchers, first seen in this segment in the 2017 Hyundai Xcent.
4) Safety: The new Dzire’s body is built to withstand frontal collision and side impact. Like its latest model Ignis, Maruti Suzuki will offer dual airbags, seat belt with pre-tensioners, antilock braking system with EBD and Isofix child seats anchor points as standard.
5) Pricing and competition: The new Dzire starts at Rs 5.45 lakh (Petrol) and Rs 6.45 lakh (Diesel), which has only one rival more affordable at the base price: the Tata Tigor starting at Rs 4.7 lakh.
Here are other head-to-head standings:
|Features||Maruti Suzuki Dzire||Hyundai Xcent||Tata Tigor Styleback|
|Dimensions in mm (LxWxH)||3995 x 1735 x 1515||3995 x 1660 x 1520||3992 x 1677 x 1537|
|Petrol: Engine||1.2 litre K-Series||1.2-litre Kappa: 83PS / 114Nm||1.2-litre Revotron: 85PS / 115Nm|
|Transmission||5-speed MT, AMT||5-speed MT, 4-Speed AT||5-speed MT|
|Prices in Rs (ex-showroom Delhi)||5.45 - 8.41 lakh||5.38 - 7.51 lakh||4.7 - 6.19 lakh|
|Diesel: Engine||1.3-litre DDiS||1.3-litre CRDI: 72PS/180Nm||1.05-litre Revotorq: 70PS / 140Nm|
|Transmission||5-speed MT, AMT||5-speed MT||5-speed MT|
|Prices in Rs (ex-showroom Delhi)||6.45 - 9.41 lakh||6.28 - 8.41 lakh||5.60 - 7.09 lakh|
Since its launch in 2008 and through a sub-four-metre makeover in 2012, over 13 lakh units of the Dzire have been rolled out of Maruti Suzuki’s factories. It not only created this segment but also has led it, despite more lucrative and prettier offerings from rivals.
Bookings for the Dzire are open since first week of May, and the deliveries start right away, the company said on Tuesday.
First Published: May 16, 2017 12:50 IST