Probe into ‘rape’ by priest: Christian body
A Christian organisation, Dhanya Mother Teresa Mahila Shakti Parishad, has demanded an enquiry in a case of alleged rape of a tribal woman by a Christian priest.
President of Dhanya Mother Teresa Mahila Shakti Parishad, Sheela Santiago, said the tribal victim approached her for help, complaining of rape by a Father (priest).
The victim used to work at pastoral centre located opposite to St Joseph Co-ed School, near 11 number bus stop. The case is of year 2009 when she was working there as a maid servant. She was allegedly abused sexually for months by a priest at the pastoral center. When people of pastoral centre came to know about the incident, she was thrown out of job, said Sheela.
“We took the victim to the Bishop and complained against the accused priest but Bishop said he will save the clergy member and would not take any action against him,” said Sheela. We also complained to other Christian authorities including the highest order in Italy. We have been trying to get the victim president, Mahila Shakti Parishad
justice for last two years internally through Christian forums but when justice was denied, we have made written complaints to Mahila police station, Ajak police station and inspector general of Bhopal range, added Sheela.
Sheela has produced an affidavit of the victim in her support. “We received the complaint from SP (superintendent of police) office. We called the complainant today but the jurisdiction of the incident is Habibganj and TT Nagar police station, we have sent the complaint back to office with our tip,” said GP Agarwal, town inspector, of Kolar police station.
When asked why the victim is not complaining herself, Sheela replied the victim is married and belongs to a poor family. She fears adverse effect on her family if her identity is revealed. She added that she has enough evidences to prove the charge.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Geeta went missing 20 years ago and reached Lahore, where she was found sitting alone in Samjhauta express in the year 2000.
- A candidate questioned by MPPEB allowed a tainted company to conduct the exam. The same company was blacklisted by UP after a question paper of recruitment exam for sub-inspectors got leaked in 2017, he alleged.
- A decision to this effect was taken after BJP MLA from Mandsaur, Yashpal Singh Sisodia, raised the issue in the state legislative assembly.
- The family members of the accused said the girls knew Sohail for several years and they had gone to Khargone to celebrate Sohail’s birthday
- An employee of a nearby petrol pump said he heard a blast-like sound and when he reached the accident spot, he saw the car in a bad shape, said a police officer.
- The decision was taken during a high-level Covid review meeting held on Monday after a new wave of Covid-19 cases was reported from Indore.