Aamir Khan is China’s Secret Superstar, film earns Rs 174 cr in 3 days after Dangal’s massive success
Zaira Wasim-starrer Secret Superstar made a big splash in China. The film, which was a moderate hit in India, has made Rs 174.10 crore over the first weekend, putting a seal on the popularity the actor enjoys in China. With its two-day collection of Rs 100 crore, it also managed to eclipse the total amount it earned in India.
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted the figures: “#SecretSuperstar packs a SOLID PUNCH in its opening weekend in China... Close to Rs 175 cr in 3 days... MIND-BOGGLING indeed...Fri $ 6.88 mn Sat $ 10.50 mn Sun $ 9.84 mn Total : $ 27.22 million [Rs 174.10 cr].”
With this feat, Secret Superstar became the second Indian film to top the Chinese box office in less than a year. It also managed to beat Hollywood romance, Forever Young, reported Variety.
The actor is also touring China to whip up support for the film before a host of local films are released on Chinese New Year. This is also the reason Secret Superstar is unlikely to earn as much as the phenomenal Dangal in the country. Variety quoted data from Ent Group saying the film enjoyed a huge 56,000 screenings on Friday, rising to 63,000 on Sunday.
The opening day figure is the highest by any Indian movie, including counting that of Dangal - Aamir’s previous movie that broke records in China. Aamir is also the producer of Secret Superstar.
Dangal earned Rs 72.68 crore in the first three days of its release in China. The film, based on the real life story of wrestler Mahavir Singh Phogat and his two daughters, went on to collect Rs 417.48 crore in two weeks in the country.
Aamir became a household name in China after the success of Dangal last year which raked up over Rs. 1100 crores since it was released in China. Aamir’s 3 Idiots and PK were also successful in China.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kangana Ranaut is 'thrilled' to know how she is 'awesome at everything' she does. On Thursday, she shared photos of her smoothie bowl, after many claimed that she had pulled the picture off the internet.
- Parineeti Chopra has unveiled the teaser of her upcoming film Saina. She plays badminton player Saina Nehwal in the film.
- Abhishek Bachchan has shared a picture from the sets of Dasvi and is seen in a powerful avatar. He plays Ganga Ram Chaudhary in the comedy film.
- Following IT raids at Anurag Kashyap's premises, Neeraj Ghaywan shared a picture from his library and tweeted, 'there’s definitely something there inside those books, too much wealth in them.'
- Slumdog Millionaire star Madhur Mittal has been accused of sexual assault by a former girlfriend. An FIR has been filed against the actor.
- Neena Gupta shared a picture with husband Vivek Mehra on completing 20 years of togetherness. He is a chartered accountant and had met Neena on a flight.
- Cricketer Hardik Pandya has shared a few lovely pictures with partner Natasa Stankovic on her birthday. He has also thanked her for giving him the most precious gift - their son Agastya.
- Gauri Khan, Seema Khan, Maheep Kapoor joined Karan Johar, Karisma Kapoor, Malaika Arora, Amrita Arora at Manish Malhotra's residence on Wednesday evening.
- Yami Gautam opens up about being asked to dress her age and aim at looking younger, just before the release of Vicky Donor.
- Swara Bhasker praises Taapsee Pannu for being an 'amazing girl with courage and conviction', adding that she should stand as a 'strong warrior'.
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan were visited on Wednesday evening by Karisma Kapoor, Malaika Arora, Amrita Arora, Manish Malhotra and Natasha Poonawalla.