Aamir Khan’s Dangal wins Hong Kong bout, continues box office domination
Aamir Khan’s sports drama Dangal, which created records upon its release in India and China, has received a good response in Hong Kong and collected $702,000 (Rs 4.48 crore) in its opening weekend there.
Director Nitesh Tiwari’s film released on August 24 in Hong Kong.
The film collected $85,000 on its opening day and witnessed a jump over the weekend by collecting $109,000 on Friday, $215,000 on Saturday and $215,000 on Sunday, taking its cumulative total to $702,000 (including paid previews).
“’Dangal’ is an extremely special film for us, a story that we strongly believed in continues to win hearts across borders.
“It’s overwhelming that even today -- nine months after its release in India, the film dominates the box office wherever it goes -- including in new and relatively uncharted waters like in mainstream Hong Kong this weekend. It reinstates our belief that a good story, if made well can connect everywhere,” Amrita Pandey, Vice President, Studios, Disney India, said in a statement.
The film, which is based on the life of Mahavir Singh Phogat, an amateur wrestler, who trains his daughters Geeta Phogat and Babita Kumari to be world-class wrestlers, also features Sakshi Tanwar, Fatima Sana Shaikh and Zaira Wasim.
Dangal currently has an overseas total of $214.57 million and worldwide collection of $295.08 million (including India). That’s Rs 1882 crore.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Mira Rapjut has shared new photos and videos from her Goa vacation with husband, actor Shahid Kapoor. Check them out here.
- Kangana Ranaut shared a video of Jiah Khan's sister levelling serious allegations of sexual harassment against Sajid Khan. She suggested that he has the 'full support' of the 'mafia' in the film industry.
- Actor Minissha Lamba has said that there is no longer any stigma attached to separation, and if a relationship isn't working, it is advisable to part ways amicably.
- Shah Rukh Khan jokingly took offence as the official Twitter handle of Kolkata Knight Riders declared Juhi Chawla’s husband Jay Mehta as the 'most affable gentleman'.
- Actor Sonam Kapoor has shared a new image from the Glasgow sets of her upcoming film, Blind. Her dad, Anil Kapoor, left a comment on her post.
- Natasa Stankovic has paid a heartfelt tribute to Hardik Pandya’s father who died on Saturday after suffering a heart attack.
- Disha Patani took to Instagram stories to share a video of herself dancing to rumoured boyfriend Tiger Shroff's new track, Casanova.
- Soni Razdan feels that Rhea Chakraborty has a bright future ahead of her in the film industry. Soni said that her time in jail 'clearly exposed the people who sent her there'.